Monday, August 15, 2016

1 - I wish that I was President's wife

Elder Muller & Elder Da Silva outside the Den Haag temple. (They were in the same MTC group at the start of their mission, September 2014!)


One last time together! They are both completing their missions next week. Elder Muller & Elder Da Silva


Elder Richards outside of the Den Haag temple.


Last dinner with Daan & Emma


Last visit with Family Spier


The subject line is a nice quote from Elder Richards. Take it as you will ;) 

Hello everyone! Hello from Schilderswijk, or as we like to call it here, little Turkey. It's another beautiful day.

Well this has been an interesting week to say the least. It had a lot of ups and downs. 

Let's do a little recap. Tuesday Elder Richards and I both went to Haarlem on exchanges with the Elders there. It was pretty fun. I worked with Elder Roberts, and he's just a gem. A really solid missionary, and absolutely hilarious. I also got to go to dinner at the Stigter's one last time before I head back. It was a good day. :) 

Wednesday was pretty odd. We came back from Haarlem in the morning to have a lesson with M---. She proceeded to drop us, and her baptismal date. For whatever reason she has changed her mind about baptism, and doesn't feel like its a good time for her right now. It's kind of disappointing, but there is nothing we can really do. She's still a good friend, and we are going to do our best to help and support her. The ward was pretty disappointed as well, but they are all super gung ho about supporting her and helping her no matter what. At least I know I will leaving her in good hands. :) We explained very clearly that we love her no matter what, and we want the best for her no matter her decision. 

However what the Lord takes, He also gives. We had a lesson that same day with a less active that we hadn't seen in awhile and who is just a blast. She was on vacation, and she just got back. We wanted to help jump start her progression again, so we gave her the "chapters of all chapters" to read on vacation, Alma 5. That was inspired. We had a lesson, and she was just full of the Spirit. She is so excited to keep learning and growing. We had a great lesson on personal revelation, and she went and grabbed a notepad and started writing down everything we said. I was kind of shocked because nobody has ever done that before in one of my lessons. People have taken notes, but never like she did. It was pretty cool though. So she's on a fast track to finding herself again. I'm really excited for her. 

Thursday was my last exchange EVER with good old Elder Turner from Calgary. I couldn't have asked for a better exchange. We worked hard. We found people, we taught lessons, and we even set up two dinner appointments. 

Saturday was a very special day for me, and this will be the rest of my email. Saturday I was able to go to the Temple with E--- and do baptisms for the dead. I can't believe that it was more than a year ago that I was at her baptism when I was serving in Rotterdam. We've both grown a lot since then. 



This is Elder Muller and Elder Da Silva outside of the Den Haag temple with E! What a joyous occasion to see her at the temple. 


Elders Muller & Da Silva and E!

As missionaries, we aren't allowed to actually take part in the temple baptisms, but we are allowed to observe, so we supported E--- as she performed the ordinances for those who are dead. As I was watching I was thinking about my mission. How much I've experienced, how often I've done my absolute best to bring someone to the waters of baptism, only to have them choose to reject it. It's not easy, seeing people that you love get so close to experiencing something that you know will bless their lives so immensely, only to have them turn their back on it. E--- didn't though. She took that step of faith, and I am so happy and proud of her that she did. 


Happiness!


And more happiness!


I go home in a week and a half. I've been here for almost two years. I've talked to hundreds of people. I've knocked probably more than a thousand doors, I've taught hundreds of lessons, and yet I have only seen one convert baptism my whole mission. But you know what? It was worth it. Every second. Every drop of sweat, every mountain I've had to climb to be here, every sleepless night, every tear shed, it was worth it to see that one daughter of God enter the Temple and help others receive of the same joy. They may have already passed on, but they are thirsting for the gospel just as much as the people here on earth. We all need the Gospel of Jesus Christ, whether we are from China, from Europe, from Africa, from Canada, we all need it. Sitting in the Temple, I knew it was worth it. I would do it all again just for her. Because her soul is precious, as are those of everyone. We are all God's children, and we all deserve a chance. 

Doctrine and Covenants 18:15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!

I know this scripture to be true. I have found the fullness of joy here in the Belgium Netherlands Mission. 

I have one full week of real proselyting left, and I am going to do my best to make the most of it. 

I love you all, and I will see you very soon. 


Salutjes

E.M. 




Destination Schiphol Airport - not yet!


Elder Muller and Elder Richards outside the Den Haag temple - #compswag



Elder Muller and Elder Richards




No comments:

Post a Comment